Although of poor quality, this image is interesting in that it shows the Altair with the name ANZAC removed and with a fairing over the tail wheel. This fairing was not fitted in the United States and neither was it present when the Altair was unloaded from the Mariposa on 17 July 1934. The name ANZAC was obliterated on 18 July and the aircraft was test flown on 26 July. This photograph was probably taken on the day of this test flight. This suggests that the fairing was fitted between 18 and 26 July. Although the fairing could have been packed inside the aircraft when shipped, it is more likely that it was a local speed modification manufactured at the direction of Lawrence Wackett. Picture: Sport and General and Central News (New Zealand)